5 Day Bricklaying Courses - Intensive Bricklaying CourseOur 5 Day Bricklaying Courses are practical hands on Bricklaying Courses. The course is designed to give you sound knowledge of brickwork for use at home or site but is also flexible and can be tailored to include any specific project you are planning. Our 5 Day Bricklaying courses are as good as it gets.
Our Instructor not only teaches but actually does it for a living. From Site developing to Domestic he knows his stuff which can only be advantageous to the students. You will be confident on completion of your course in tackling various projects having had the best training that Goldtrowel is known and respected for.
The first two days of the course are fixed and consist of the following elements:
- Introduction to and the use of tools
- Gauging & mixing mortars
- Loading & setting out the site with materials
- Trowel techniques and laying the bed joint
- Buttering brick joints
- Building corners plumb and level
- Laying to the line & various pointing techniques.
Each technique is demonstrated before you proceed with your first practical exercise. With this day over you would have built a single skin brick wall in Stretcher Bond with returns and piers. Correct footings for walls are also discussed.
- A demonstration of various brickwork bonds proceeds your practical exercise for today which will be to build a double skinned wall with a pier and a return.
- We cover English Bond, Flemish Bond and a variety of Garden Wall Bonds. We also cover using creasing tiles and brick on edge coping.
- From here the course is tailored to suit each student. There are two options.
- Option 1 - Consists of the principles and practicalities of building brick and block cavity walls such as would be used for extensions, porches and new-builds.
- Therefore we start with theory on damp-proof courses and cavities, and then you will start to build a small extension / porch module to building regulations using face brickwork and lightweight blocks incorporating a cavity with ties and insulation.
- Continues the construction of the extension/porch. The methods used are typical of new - build properties across building authorities within the uk. We show you how to use door/window profiles and close the cavities using vertical dpc.
- Will involve finishing the brickwork on the module and setting the lintel with a cavity tray and weepholes. Laying a soldier course above the window is also covered. We can then recap anything from the previous days as required.
- Option 2 - Concentrates more on garden and retaining walls. Each day you will choose a module to build to suit your requirements.
- Recessed panel work with basketweave effect
- Decorative walling with choice of coping
- Retaining walls with advice on drainage and terracing
- Curved walls with shallow and tight curves
- Piers with decorative inlays
- Or you can repeat the exercises from the first or second day to improve your skills
Some of the modules we use are simlar to those used in the City and Guilds Bricklaying assesment and so will give you an idea of the speed and quality required should you wish to progress to that level in the future.